Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

August 1, 2006

Yesterday was a busy day for Aiden, they attempted at two different times to get a pik line in for his IV nutrition. (A pik line is a tiny tube they feed through the vain until it reaches one of the main vains in the body that are stronger then the little vains in your arm or hand. This way they can put a good amount of meds or nutrition into it with out it infultrating or blowing.)
Well the first attempt was a no go, so they gave AIden a few hours to rest and then tried a different spot. They got this one in but not as far as they needed it to go, therefore it is not a pik line, but otherwise known as a "long line" it's stronger then an IV but not as strong as a pik.
The plan after this was to wait for the new attendign to start (today) and see if they wanted to try and use just the long line, or send Aiden to surgery to have a line placement of a pik. My pther question to the doc was what about the contrast study and feedings, since he did so well with them on saturday I was hoping they would bite the bullet, but the answer I got was that they were going to wait for the new attending to decide what she wanted to do. (Fustration sets in) Can you feel my blood boiling yet?? Once again we are back and forth with the "to do the study or to not do the study" I'm getting tired of this and I want the answer solved in the next day. Enough is enough already. I know Aiden has great doctors and staff, but they need to get on the same page.
As for today well we checked in and the new fellow on (attendings and fellows change every first of the month) has decided to attempt a pik line before sending him to the OR. New doctors, new techniques, new opinions, is basiclly what they said, so they wanted to see if they could get one in since the fellow yesterday couldn't. Here is hoping!!! That would mean one less surgery for Aiden, and that is a great thing!! His cultures from the 28th and 29th are negitive so the yeast is gone. He will be on the meds for a while, but they have taken one away.
As for his vent, well he is doing great they said. From the settings he is on (20 over 6 with a rate of 24) is a wonderful thing. He usually breaths over the vent and that is good. The only time he "rides it" is when he is in a deep sleep. Now they are talking again about CPAP, which to be honest I am not in a rush for. I know he is going to hate it, and another nurse agreed with me, she doesn't think he will like it at all. Plus it's going to streach and pull at his nose, and he has such a little little nose. They told me it would go back, but I hate the thought of anything that "bothers" him.. We'll just have to see how it goes.
We have a meeting with the new attending today and are on our way.. Wish us luck..

Back from the "visit", just got in, and it's about 3AM, so this will be short.
Aiden looks happy and laughed at us tonight when we were making funny faces and talking to him. It was so cute.. Chuck started cracking up.. The fellow who looked at him today couldn't see a spot to get the pik line in so he didn't try. This means Aiden is going to the OR tomorrow to have a line placement done. I guess the one they are going to do it NOT a pik, it's bigger and comes out of the neck or the groin area. I know he needs it but I just feel so bad. After this is done, the next thing will be the GI study to see if anything is "blocking" and if so then again to the OR to have a BIG surgery. I am hoping that nothing is blocking and in that case they can start feeding him like before and see how it goes.
His leg (the burn) looks better, and they gave him more lasix today to keep the fluid off so he looks like Aiden and not someone elses puffkin.
As for me well I am back to work on Monday. They were great to "meet me in the middle" and let me go back part time hours for the month of August. By then I think Aiden will be a lot more stable and I'll go back full time until he comes home. That will be hard but I know I have to do it or we are not going to have a home for him to come home to. Chucks already back to work and he's doing well. Always there to keep me grounded. He got to kangaroo tonight with Aiden so he's on cloude 9 right now. They look so cute together. I can't wait to take him home. That is going to be a strange day.

No comments: