Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

August 16, 2006



Ahhhhhh What a day.. I get up, go to work, still feeling a bit behind and then about 11am make the call to check on Aiden. Was I in for a shock.. The nurse goes over Aiden's morning and then tells me he is on nasal canual and has been since about 5AM.. What?? Oh My God!!! This is a big step... How did this come about? We just asked about it the other day and they said probably not for another week.
Well come to find out, they were changing the canula on the CPAP and Aiden was at room air for awhile. I was told today that he did really good and didn't alert the maching once. SO.. they decided to try him on nasal canula. Not even high flow, he is on low flow and doing well.
When i finally got out of work and got to the hospital, it was about 3pm and he was still on it. That is when I found out he'd been on it since 4AM not 5... I am so excited and he seems very comfortable with it. The nurse told me if he has any problems he will have to go back to CPAP, and although he was doing good and holding his own she kinda felt like he would end up on CPAP. Well 7pm came and his night nurse Liz came in. She looked at Aiden and me holding him and said tell me your joking.. "He's still on it" My reply, yup, he was going to prove you all wrong. She laughed and said she truley thought when she came back in tonight he'd be on the CPAP again. Well I was at the hospital until almost 11pm tonight and he is still on low flow nasal canula and holding his own. As for his feeds well they upped them at noon to 15 cc's and then at midnight he will go to 17 cc's, again closer to the goal. So far he has been digesting it and not having an issue withthe increases. Within another week he should be on full feeds.
Remember he needs to be able to hold his temp, be on full feeds, stay on low flow or off completely, and drink from a bottle to come home. It's so good to know he is one step closer.

Please all this is a good time. Thoughts and prayers in numbers work. Keep them coming. I know Aiden can do it, he's a strong bugger. They just have to give him the chance and we all have to believe he can do it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such great news. Like I have told you before, I don't know you, but am along for this incredible ride. I think you and your husband are incredibly strong and wonderful Sept. 28th is my son's 1st birthday and the day that Aiden is supposed to go home - although I think it may come sooner. I will think of you guys and Aiden while Ronin blows out ( I mean slobbers on) his candle. If this blog stops once he is home, please keep me posted with pictures and updates. jenfrp@gmail.com. My thoughts are with you, I check every day. XOXOX

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm Wendy, Meish's friend. I was at the karaoke night when you guys came on Memorial Day weekend. She told me about what was going on, and I've been keeping up with Aiden's progress. I'm soooo glad your little peanut is doing good. I've been sending good vibes nonstop your way, hoping to hear good news everytime I read your updates. I'm glad he's making the move in the right direction! Here's to hoping he's home sooner than everyone thinks! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like Aiden has his own agenda mapped out! The sweet child is anxious for you to take him home! I am so very happy for all of you. How can the thunderous roar of our collective prayers rising to the heavens not be heard?