Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, October 05, 2006

October 5, 2006

Aiden had his swallow study done today and we had a family meeting with the new attending in the NICU. He didn't pass the swallow study, I hoped he would but figured he wouldn't. He was micro asperating into his lungs a little bit. So we now wait a week and re test him. Basiclly that is all we do, re test every week until he passes. In the family meeting today we went over the test and the option of Aiden getting a Gtube put in. I am NOT happy about that. I know it has some benifits but right now it's not an option for me. I want to give him more time and see if he can get the coordination down to breath suck and swallow. Another option given to us to to finally leave the Brigham and go to a rehab where they will help him learn to eat if that is the only thing keeping us at Brigham right now. With this option, they will get Aiden's hernia's repaired, then set him up to be transfered to the rehab once is is ok to do so. The thought of that is both good and bad. He's be a bit closer to home and a bit closer to "coming home" but on the down side, I'd have to give up my nursing staff in the NICU that I've grown very close to and have to deal with people that I don't know and who don't know Aiden. It's scary to me and a lot to think about. Right now we have to set up appointments to tour the two rehabs then we will have to decide what we think is best for Aiden. As for the G-tube, well that is not a decision I can make over the week end. That one is going to take us a bit longer and like I said I truley think he just needs more time to get things together. If however in 4 to 5 weeks he doesn't have it down, then we really have to take the G-tube option into consideration. It really sucks thinking it's a possibility, but at this point I don't deny the balck and white of things anymore.
He also got an Ecko done of his heart today. not for any reason other then to get a base line picture of what things look like now. It has to do with the pulminary consult that they also did today. We are still waiting to talk to that doctor, who said he will meet with us some time next week. Right now though, Aiden is doing good, and oh yeah, he was taken off his Reglan today. It's a trial week per sa, if things go well then he will stay off of it and if it looks like he could use it, then we will talk about putting him back on, or rather putting him on something else that does the same thing Reglan does, manybe even Pepsid. However I think he is going to be fine with out it. But what do I know, right....

It's going to be a crazy next few weeks. Aiden has an eye exam again next week, then another swallow study. We have to meet with the Pulminary doctor, and tours the rehab centers. I think my only real problem with all this, is making it fit in and trying to go to work too. It won't be too much of an issue for Chuck, but since I work in the day, it's going to pose a problem. Guess we will just have to deal. I'm doingmy best it's all I can do.. and in the mean time fighting a cold that I orignally thought was allergies, now I'm not too sure. I just hope I didn't pass it on to Aiden cause then I will really feel terrible...

3 comments:

HASH said...

We've been praying for your little one. Keep your spirits up, life gets a lot better once the little guy gets moving. Soon enough you'll be running around the house trying to stop him from pulling things off tables and writing on the wall with crayons... :)

(Dawa)

E said...

I've been reading your blog for a long time. It brings back loads of memories. Anyways, both of my babies had feeding issues (lots of swallow tests as well) in the NICU, one because she has a paralyzed vocal chord (from her PDA surgery) and the other because he couldn't figure out the breathe suck swallow technique. Both babies were put on thickener (www.simplythick.com) which helps them not aspirate. We eventualy weaned my son so he could drink regular formula. I only mention that because it sounds like no one suggested it at your NICU. Also, we went through about 10 different nipples while in the NICU before we found the ones that worked best for our babies. We had a pretty active speech department that worked everyday with them.

Best of luck,

E

hallegracesmama said...

Whew! There's a lot going on this week! Has there been talk of getting the Nissen Fundoplication to prevent aspiration? I agree with you about waiting on the g-tube until you know that he will definitely need it. Keep in mind though that the NG tube can contribute to oral aversions (it did with Halle - and eventually she stopped eating altogether). The best case would be to get the g-tube and use it only as a supplement to ensure he's getting enough. There are several preemie moms online who have been able to use the button that way. Who knows...he may not even need it!

As for the rehab, every place is different, but I'm pretty sure the best staffing and care would be in the NICU/PICU. Good luck to you in all the decisions in the next few weeks. And keep us updated!!