Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

October 11, 2006

Happy 4 Months Aiden!!!

Well I'd like to say today went super, BUT that isn't the case. Aiden had a great morning and took a tubby, had a spa treatment, and was in a great mood all day until about 2. Then all hell set in..
Ultrasound came to do the ultrasound for urology of his "private area" so they could assess the hernia's and see what was what. They need to take a peek at a few things. There is usually 2 techs that so the ultrasound. The first one did hers, and the second one started hers. She was in the middle of it and Aiden was sleeping through it all, then all of a sudden he "checked out". He got really pale and flush and just stopped breathing. His heart rate dropped to 74 and his O2 sats went as low as 23. He was gray and limp and they pumped the O2 up to 100% and nothing. They then repositioned him and bagged him, gave him a few puffs and again NOTHING. So they did it again.. Repositioned, a few more puffs and still nothing. THEN he suddenly took a spontaneous breath and started crying. After that his heart rate shot up to 220. I assume it was the adrenalin kicking in, his body own kick-start.
After that he spiked a fever of 101. They gave him some Tylenol and took him out of his PJ's to cool off. I arrived a bit after this. When I got there Mickey told me what happened and we just watched him. He was so tired and just out of it. He seemed ok and his heart rate went down, but was still a bit high. It was ranging between 185 and 205. I held him on my chest in just his diaper to keep him cool and relaxed. He settled in with me and fell asleep for a while. I took his temp every 45 mins and it was 99.1 or 99.2 most of the times. He did seem better and very happy to be with mommy. We waited for his CBC to come back and his platelets were fine but his white blood count was low, which usually means an infection or something.
It could even be a reaction to his 4-month vaccinations he got yesterday. I read his chart for the last 24 hrs and he has a 20 sec spell at about 5:15 in the AM, so if it turns out to be the shots I wouldn't be surprised. It could even be just a common cold like you and I get, but we'll know more in a few days.
All was going good and I had been holding Aiden for about 2 1/2 hours and then it happened again. I looked at his monitor and said to his nurse, his numbers are fluky and keep going back and forth, something’s up, it’s happening again. Then within about 2 minutes he bottomed out again. This freaked me out big time. We put him in the crib and bagged him again. It was probably about 50 to 60 seconds and then he opened his eyes and cried and then just looked at me to say "mommy what wrong with me, I don't feel so good" Once he saw me he just stared at me, no matter where I moved he was looking only at me. That made me feel better, that maybe I made him feel safer. After this episode they put in an IV to start antibiotics to be safe and decided to do an LP again. They will culture the spinal fluid, and also his urine and blood. They will also do the normal labs on them all too.
He did great through the LP ( I think he was way to tired to even care really) and once he was done they brought him back over to me and I just held him. He went right to sleep and every so often would look at me and pass back out.
I can tell he just doesn't feel good because he didn't really cry, and when he did it was little wimpy cries. he was just pooped out. They even held his 4 pm feed, and usually he is so hungry in about 3 1/2 hours and it didn't faze him that he had not eaten since noontime.
They feed him at 8pm and he tolerated it well. I stayed til almost 11 pm to be with him and see if the tests came back. The LP results cam back as negative, which is good. Now we are just waiting on the cultured, and they take 48 hours before they will be considered negative.

We will just have to hang tight, all I can say is it is easier said then done. Seeing him turn gray in front of me and his lips blue really scared me. After everything we have gone through and all he has fought his way through, I was really scared to see him at this stage be so out of it like he was.

Please everyone, pray... Pray Aiden kicks this bug too and gets better super fast.

Oh and another update I forgot to mention. His eye appointment was yesterday and went well. He is now down to stage 1 ROP and it's getting better. YAY for that..
Just a few more things to do and we can finally get out of the NICU and HOME...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Healing thoughts to you, Sweet Little Aiden... Get this little virus (or whatever it is) out so you can get back to the other business at hand... getting home to Mommy and Daddy!

Continued prayers are flowing in your direction....

Anonymous said...

Baby Aiden, please get better quickly, precious little boy. Stay strong and healthy and kick this bug right out of your system!
Mom and Dad, stay strong and healthy for your lil man. It is obvious how much he truly needs you. All the prayers, wishes, and healing thoughts sent your way...

Anonymous said...

Positive and loving thoughts sent your way. Come on little Aiden, show this bug who is boss. I just know that you will be home in no time.

Hang in there Mom and Dad. You two are truly inspirational. It is obvious where lil man gets his strength and courage from.