Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Friday, September 01, 2006

September 1, 2006

What a busy day..
I called the NICU at 10 to check on Aiden and see how his exam went since I knew the eye doc was coming at 9am to check him. The word was he was having laser surgery. They planned it for 2pm and estimated about an hour for each eye. I left work at 1pm picked up his Auntie Elisa and shot to the hospital to see my baby boy and sign the consent forms. When I got there they had already intubated him and he was back on the vent. They did this as an elective procedure so they could give him pain meds and sudate him so he was still and not worry about him not breathing.
He looked peaceful when I got there. Really sleepy and comfy from the morphine they had already given him. They moved him to an isolation room to do the procedure and i followed. We spent time with Aiden until the eye doctor got there and then I went over all my questions with her. I signed the consent and then gave Aiden kisses. I headed out and waited for the phone call. Well the two hours turned into three but all turned out well. The doctor called and told me everythign went as planned, no surprises and he did great. That they will check his eyes on Wednesday and have hopes that they will be either the same or better. As llong as they are not worse then it is a good sign. She went over before hand that some kids need a second laser surgery. that some even need an actual surgery where they cut into the eye, and some no matter what they do it just doesn't stop the ROP and they will go blind. My hopes for Aiden is, since he had to go through this, that it works and this is the end of it.
Now the GI study.. Well that was also planned for today but cancelled since the eye surgery was priority and to do it all in one day is way too much for him. The game plan now is to, depening on how Aiden is doing, to call the Barrium on call tomorrow and see if he has a slot open. If not then he will have to wait until Tuesday after the holiday to have it done. They will ook to see if he has a stricture and if not then he can be fed. IF he does, well then he will have to go into surgery to be opened up and have that part of his intestines removed. As you can imagine, I am hoping there is no blockage. That Aiden's boute of colitis was just a fluke and has nothing to do with any blockages or strictures. Then once he feeds and gets to full feeds and tolerates it. All he has to do is train on a bottle and he can come home.. Words that sound so good to my ears..

No comments: